Re: Fine grained permissions on User Mapping

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Paul Bonaud <paul(at)bonaud(dot)fr>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fine grained permissions on User Mapping
Date: 2020-06-03 20:22:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/3/20 4:11 AM, Paul Bonaud wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> I was worried to get this kind of solution, i.e. “don't be so miserly as
> not to create a separate one for each privilege level you need.”,
> however in the case of a remote database **you have no control over**it
> sounds pretty impossible to do.
>
> If I understand correctly, my initial question doesn't have a solution
> within postgres, does this sound right?

As it stands now I can't think of one. You might reach out to the
postgres_fdw folks and see if they could get it to use a service file:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/libpq-pgservice.html

Then the user mapping could use information the end user can't see
unless they had permissions on the file system.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com