Re: Join Question

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Join Question
Date: 2006-08-02 21:17:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/2/06, Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Question,
>
> What is the difference between left join, and left outer join?
>
> I know the difference between inner and outer joins, but I was thinking that
> left join == inner join. But from what I am now seeing, it appears that PG
> is equating left join to left outer join. Is this correct?

Types of JOIN:

* [ INNER ] JOIN
* LEFT [ OUTER ] JOIN
* RIGHT [ OUTER ] JOIN
* FULL [ OUTER ] JOIN
* CROSS JOIN

As usual, "[ .. ]" means that that word can be omitted.
"left join == inner join" is absolutely incorrect, I'm afraid you need
to refresh you memory and read the manual
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-select.html, find
"join_type").

This part of Postgres conforms to standard, all major DBMSs follow
this semantics too.

--
Best regards,
Nikolay