Re: Remove old RULE privilege completely

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove old RULE privilege completely
Date: 2024-09-09 17:45:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024/09/10 1:02, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 10:37 AM Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
>> In v8.2, the RULE privilege for tables was removed, but for backward compatibility,
>> GRANT/REVOKE RULE, has_table_privilege(..., 'RULE') etc are still accepted,
>> though they don't perform any actions.
>>
>> Do we still need to maintain this backward compatibility?
>> Could we consider removing the RULE privilege entirely?
>
> 8.2 is a long time ago. If it's really been dead since then, I think
> we should remove it.

Ok, so, patch attached.

There was a test to check if has_table_privilege() accepted the keyword RULE.
The patch removed it since it's now unnecessary and would only waste cycles
testing that has_table_privilege() no longer accepts the keyword.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Remove-old-RULE-privilege-completely.patch text/plain 4.1 KB