Re: Are indexes blown?

From: "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are indexes blown?
Date: 2008-02-15 12:26:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On 15/02/2008, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:

> First guess is that it's not using the index. What does
> EXPLAIN ANALYSE SELECT user_id FROM clients WHERE user_id LIKE '...'
> show?
>
> Check the list archives for locale and like and text_pattern_ops too -
> that's a good place to check.

There is nothing to do with locale. The same database has been working
just fine for 2 years. Why should this be an issue now?

When I ran the EXPLAIN SELECT, the database was hanging. Or taking too
much time (waiting for 5 minutes), or whatever. I cancelled it.

That's the problem. It works, then it doesn't. Then it works again. I
am guessing it could be the load, but there's nothing new in terms of
load that should be causing this!