Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol

From: Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <samimseih(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, kaido vaikla <kaido(dot)vaikla(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol
Date: 2024-09-02 19:30:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14/8/2024 23:05, Imseih (AWS), Sami wrote:
>> I think the testing discussion should be moved to a different thread.
>> What do you think?
> See v4.
>
> 0001 deals with reporting queryId in exec_execute_message and
> exec_bind_message.
> 0002 deals with reporting queryId after a cache invalidation.
>
> There are no tests as this requires more discussion in a separate thread(?)
At first, these patches look good.
But I have a feeling of some mess here:
queryId should be initialised at the top-level query. At the same time,
the RevalidateCachedQuery routine can change this value in the case of
the query tree re-validation.
You can say that this routine can't be called from a non-top-level query
right now, except SPI. Yes, but what about extensions or future usage?

--
regards, Andrei Lepikhov