Re: gin index trouble

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gin index trouble
Date: 2017-10-30 16:45:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/30/2017 10:32 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Rob Sargent <rsargent(at)xmission(dot)com> wrote:
>> I’ve hit this same message
>>
>> Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: right sibling of GIN
>> page is of different type
>>
>> in a couple of contexts and I’m starting to get worried.
>>
>> I’ve rebuilt the index, but will that help?
>> Is there a way to see what the ‘different type’ is?
>> Is it caught/clean-up by vacuum analyse or some such?
> Is there a lot of churn on this table? Do you either heavily update or
> heavily delete rows in the table? Does vacuum tend to run on the table
> rather frequently?

Peter, you beat me to the punch. I was just about to say "Having read
the referenced message I thought I would add that we never delete from
this table." In this particular case it was written to record by
record, in a previous execution and at the time of the error it was only
being read. (In case you've been following, the failed execution would
have added ~1M "segments", each which references an entry in the gin'd
table "probandsets" - but like a rookie I'm looking up each
probandset(2^16) individually. Re-working that NOW.)