Re: Should I care about this error "failed to link /usr/bin/psql [...] exists and it is not a symlink"?

From: Ekaterina Amez <ekaterina(dot)amez(at)zunibal(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should I care about this error "failed to link /usr/bin/psql [...] exists and it is not a symlink"?
Date: 2019-12-03 15:34:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Tom,

El 3/12/19 a las 16:14, Tom Lane escribió:
> Ekaterina Amez <ekaterina(dot)amez(at)zunibal(dot)com> writes:
>> I'm installing postgres 9.6 in a CentOS 7 computer that already has
>> postgres v9.2 installed (version that comes with CentOS installer) and
>> I've seen the message of this mail's subject.
>> failed to link /usr/bin/psql -> /etc/alternatives/pgsql-psql: /usr/bin/psql exists and it is not a symlink
> I believe the issue here is that you've got Red Hat's postgresql packages
> installed,
As I've mentioned, this Postgres version comes with CentOs installation,
so I guess you're right.
> and they're not set up to participate in alternatives
> switching. I'd suggest removing those packages
By "removing those packages" you mean uninstall v9.2? This is a test
computer and it's not a problem, but I'm afraid this is going to happen
also in production server, by doing this won't be my cluster be unavailable?
> --- having them installed
> alongside PGDG postgres packages is going to lead to nothing but grief.
>
> regards, tom lane

So what's happening is that I have installed a RH version of Postgres
instead an official one? Am I right?

Regards,

Ekaterina