Re: Source code in .tar.xz format?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Steven Winfield <Steven(dot)Winfield(at)cantabcapital(dot)com>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Source code in .tar.xz format?
Date: 2018-10-12 13:44:45
Lists: pgsql-www

On 12/10/2018 12:34, Steven Winfield wrote:
> Have you considered making xz-compressed source tarballs available in
> file browser (https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source)?
>
> The tarfile for v11rc1 compresses to 15.5MB (with -9) - nearly half the
> size of the gzip-compressed file that is currently on the browser.
>
> Modern versions of tar will automatically decompress .tar.xz files with
> the usual “tar -xf <filename>” invocation.

My records show that this had been discussed about 5 years ago. The
idea was to drop bz2 and add xz. The problem was that older operating
systems (such as CentOS 5 and perhaps older Solaris) don't support xz,
so that would negatively affect some platforms.

In the meantime, people are already moving on from xz to lz ...