Re: Explain plan on a Select query

From: MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com>
To: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explain plan on a Select query
Date: 2020-03-16 18:35:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi John,

How many rows are in the table?  If the table is small with respect to
row count, and the pages are not very fragmented, ie, not many pages,
then PG is just doing the right thing here: seq scan is less expensive
than index scan in those cases.  You can turn off enable_seqscan to just
make sure it does use the index.

Regards,
Michael Vitale