Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Marc Millas <marc(dot)millas(at)mokadb(dot)com>, depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Subject: Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql
Date: 2023-02-01 18:53:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/1/23 9:22 AM, Bob Jolliffe wrote:
> I have generally favoured ubuntu LTS editions over the years, more out
> of familiarity than any particular good technical reason.  In the past,
> postgresql on FreeBSD would have been my first goto, but it's harder to
> get freebsd skills out on the market than ubuntu/debian linux.
>
> I do have one gripe about the packaged postgis packages : the list of
> dependencies seem quite enormous.  For example, the previous poster
> mentions 234MB.  I find the list of dependencies a little baffling and
> disconcerting.

It is a big program that covers a lot of ground. What is disconcerting
is that you see the dependencies called out instead of being wrapped
into a blob.

Not going to make much difference to the dependencies but this:

sudo apt install postgis=3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1

should actually be:

sudo apt install postgresql-12-postgis-3=3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1

The first form has a dependency on the latest Postgres, so will want to
install Postgres 15.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com