Re: Sharing static data among several databases

From: "Robert James" <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sharing static data among several databases
Date: 2007-11-19 00:02:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Comedy aside, this makes a lot of sense:
The shared data has nothing private in it at all - it's chemical info.
Sharing it is no worse than sharing the application code, or the OS's
libraries. It's the customer's data which needs to be isolated.

On 11/18/07, Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I appreciate that. But realistically if you had locked information
> isolation
> down via permissions and appropriate views the information for each
> customer would be as safe as it would using separate databases or
> even servers.

True. But, being human, we make mistakes. The simpler things are, the less
likely the chance of mistake. Sep. DBs = simple, dumb. "ocked information
isolation down via permissions and views" = complicated, smart. When it
comes to reliability, dumb is good.