forcing compression of text field

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan(at)utahpython(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: forcing compression of text field
Date: 2006-12-11 16:18:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a table of log messages. They are mostly in the 100-200
character length, which apparently isn't large enough for PG to want
to compress it (length == octet_length). I really need to save disk
space. I can store it as a bytea and compress it manually (zlib level
1 compression gives about 50% savings), but is there a way to force
pg's own compression before I resort to this?

--
Jonathan Ellis
http://spyced.blogspot.com