Re: Large expressions in indexes can't be stored (non-TOASTable)

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Large expressions in indexes can't be stored (non-TOASTable)
Date: 2024-09-23 13:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Nathan,

20.09.2024 19:51, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> Here's a (probably naive) attempt at fixing these, too. I'll give each
> path a closer look once it feels like we've identified all the bugs.

Thank you for the updated patch!

I tested it with two code modifications (1st is to make each created
expression index TOASTed (by prepending 1M of spaces to the indexeprs
value) and 2nd to make each created index an expression index (by
modifying index_elem_options in gram.y) — both modifications are kludgy so
I don't dare to publish them) and found no other snapshot-related issues
during `make check-world`.

Best regards,
Alexander