help with function

From: lacou <lacouf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: help with function
Date: 2006-03-16 15:06:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I have 2 tables where each table has a column named "comments" and the
tables are related as a one to many. I want to concatenate all the
comments of the many side to the one side so I wrote the following
plpgsql function to do so.

<pre>
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION fixcomments()
RETURNS int4 AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
mviews RECORD;
i int4;
BEGIN

FOR mviews IN SELECT * FROM saleorder WHERE comments is not null
and comments <> '' LOOP

-- Now "mviews" has one record from saleorder

EXECUTE 'UPDATE sale SET comments = ' ||
quote_ident(sale.comments) || quote_ident(mviews.comments)
|| ' WHERE sale.id = ' || quote_ident(mviews.sale_id);
i := i + 1;
END LOOP;

RETURN i;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

</pre>

I have the following error when I run this code:

<pre>
ERROR: missing FROM-clause entry for table "sale"
CONTEXT: SQL statement "SELECT 'UPDATE sale SET comments = ' ||
quote_ident(sale.comments) || quote_ident( $1 ) || ' WHERE sale.id = '
|| quote_ident( $2 )"
PL/pgSQL function "fixcomments" line 11 at execute statement
</pre>

Doesn anybody know what I am doing wrong here ?

Lacou.