How to determine number of established connections

From: "Andrus" <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to determine number of established connections
Date: 2006-02-20 17:39:55
Lists: pgsql-general

When connectiong to database my application needs to determine how many
connections is currently established to Postgres server.

Any idea which query I should use ?

I can create temporary table at startup of each connection. But how to count
the number of temporary tables created by all applications ?

Using Postgres 8.1

Andrus