Re: Plans for 8.2?

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plans for 8.2?
Date: 2006-01-13 00:01:27
Lists: pgsql-general

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote

> The key word there is "safely". We don't have a lot of trust in
> SIGTERM'ing individual backends (as opposed to shutting down the
> whole cluster at once, which is a well-tested code path). See the
> archives.

Maybe related question: is the code below in XactLockTableWait() related to
SIGQUIT?

/*
* Transaction was committed/aborted/crashed - we have to update pg_clog
* if transaction is still marked as running.
*/
if (!TransactionIdDidCommit(xid) && !TransactionIdDidAbort(xid))
TransactionIdAbort(xid);

I interpret that if a quickdie or crash happens, then other backends may
still run for a while, so it is important to mark related transaction abort.
Or there is some other more obvious reason for that?

Regards,
Qingqing