Re: password

From: Roedy Green <see_website(at)mindprod(dot)com(dot)invalid>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: password
Date: 2011-02-21 06:21:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:45:14 +0530, sachin(dot)srivastava(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
(Sachin Srivastava) wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>Hello,
>
>Installation of postgresql requires you to enter a password for the user 'postgres'.
>
> i) If the user 'postgres' is not there, it will create it and set the password to whatever you have provided,
> ii) If the user 'postgres' is already existing, then you have to give its password to move further in the installation.
>
>You can use any account other that 'postgres' by giving CLI option '---serviceaccount <username>'. See --help for more details.
>
>In case you dont remember the password you set for user 'postgres' then you can change the same via "Right Click My Computer"-->"Manage"-> Users..
>
>You said it rejects the password. When ?
>
>And windows user are most welcome here.
>

>On Feb 21, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>> I gave Postgre a password during install. However, it always rejects
>> it. I tried uninstalling, deleting all files, and reinstalling. Same
>> thing. It complains about user "roedy" (my windows id). It seems to
>> me the default user is supposed to be postgres not Roedy. Perhaps
>> that is the source of the problem. I can't find anything relevant in
>> the docs.
>>
>> The docs talk about installing on Unix by compiling C source. I have
>> Windows 7 64 bit. I get the feeling Windows users are unwelcome.
>> --
>> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
>> http://mindprod.com
>> Refactor early. If you procrastinate, you will have
>> even more code to adjust based on the faulty design.
>> .
>>

>> --

This did not help. However, I have got it going. Part of my problem
came from expecting it to work identically to MySQL.

I have posted my notes at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/postgresql.html#GOTCHAS

The key was setting up ENV parms to get it to default to postgres as
the user id. It was defaulting to roedy, my windows id. I later
discovered I could force it to use postgres with the -U option. At
first this did not appear to work.