Re: Reducing bandwidth usage of database replication

From: Ben Chobot <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
To: Sascha Zenglein <zenglein(at)gessler(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing bandwidth usage of database replication
Date: 2022-11-03 15:28:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Sascha Zenglein wrote on 11/2/22 7:56 AM:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to use the postgres-native logical replication to have multiple
> clients receive and send data to a central database.
> Real-time is far less important than network usage, and with my
> current test setup it appears both instances communicate frequently if
> a subscription is active, even if nothing is happening.
>
> Is there a good way to reduce data usage, for example by limiting the
> amount of keep-alive messages? One database will likely be idle most
> of the time.
>
> I estimated the current solution to idle at around 1.4MiB per day.
> Ideally it would use less than 100KiB a day.
>
> I'm also open for other solutions if anything comes to mind!

It sounds like you are trying to use logical replication to give
yourself a multi-master database setup, and that you've squeezed as much
optimization as you can from logical replication and found it to be
unworkable. If that's a fair assessment, you might look into something
like bucardo instead. I haven't done the network comparison but it is a
different solution that might meet your goals.