access control

From: De Clarke <de(at)ucolick(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: access control
Date: 1998-01-13 03:07:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

About commercial databases lacking access control
functionality to a degree "similar" to PG: hmm, I dunno
about that. Seems like kind of a slur on the commercial
products :-)

The two Big Names (Oracle and Sybase) have pretty well-
developed access control. I can't speak to Oracle in detail,
but I've used Sybase for years and it has an internal AC
mechanism at least as functional as the *nix file system. It
offers access control over databases as well as tables, and
good granularity (many modes and degrees of access/privilege,
user vs group, etc). Maybe an Oracle person can tell us how
that engine does access control, but I was under the
impression that it uses internal auth tables, like Sybase.

I have never liked tying access to external OS usernames.
Maybe it's just a personal idiosyncrasy :-) I'd jump for joy
if PG access control became OS-independent, with usernames,
groups, and passcodes maintained internally to the engine...
just my $0.02.

de

PS I'd also jump for joy if SQL statements could access
tables from more than one DB. I can dream, can't I?

:Mail: de(at)ucolick(dot)org | "There is no problem in computer science that cannot:
:Web: www.ucolick.org | be solved by another level of indirection" --J.O. :