Re: Growth planning

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Growth planning
Date: 2021-10-04 21:21:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/4/21 3:09 PM, Israel Brewster wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2021, at 12:46 PM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com
>> <mailto:ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/4/21 12:36 PM, Israel Brewster wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Indeed. Table per station as opposed to partitioning? The *most* I
>>> can reasonably envision needing is to query two stations, i.e. I
>>> could see potentially wanting to compare station a to some
>>> “baseline” station b. In general, though, the stations are
>>> independent, and it seems unlikely that we will need any
>>> multi-station queries. Perhaps query one station, then a second
>>> query for a second to display graphs for both side-by-side to look
>>> for correlations or something, but nothing like that has been
>>> suggested at the moment.
>>>

>> Postgresql partitions *are* tables.  What if you partition by station
>> (or range of stations)?
>
> Yeah, that’s what I thought, but Rob had said “Table per station”, so
> I wasn’t sure if he was referring to *not* using partitioning, but
> just making “plain” tables.
>
> Regardless, I intend to try portioning by station sometime this week,
> to see how performance compares to the “one big table” I currently
> have. Also to figure out how to get it set up, which from what I’ve
> seen appears to be a bit of a pain point.
> ---

My "strict" table per station suggestion was meant as an option to avoid
the partitioning pain point entirely if it wasn't going to buy you
anything. Namely querying more than one station's data.

In a write-once scenario such as this,  would a "clustered index" on
datetime be stable, performant?  Seems a read-for-export could put the
head down at time point A and just go?