Re: Safe operations?

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Samuel Williams <space(dot)ship(dot)traveller(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Safe operations?
Date: 2018-08-13 01:24:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/12/2018 05:41 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> I wish the documentation would include performance details, i.e. this
> operation is O(N) or O(1) relative to the number of rows.
>
> I found renaming a table was okay.
>
> How about renaming a column? Is it O(1) or proportional to the amount of
> data?
>
> Is there any documentation about this?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-altertable.html

"RENAME

The RENAME forms change the name of a table (or an index, sequence,
view, materialized view, or foreign table), the name of an individual
column in a table, or the name of a constraint of the table. There is no
effect on the stored data.
"

--
Adrian Klaver