Re: simple division

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Martin Mueller <martinmueller(at)northwestern(dot)edu>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: simple division
Date: 2018-12-04 20:38:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/4/18 12:29 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:

> I have asked this question before and apologize for not remembering
> it. How do you do simple division in postgres and get 10/4 with decimals?
>
> This involves cast and numeric in odd ways that are not well explained
> in the documentation. For instance, you’d expect an example in the
> Mathematical Functions. But there isn’t.
>
> The documentation of string functions is exemplary. The documentation
> of mathematical less so. Remember that it may be used by folks like me
> whose math is shaky. The MySQL documentation is better on this simple
> operation.

I may be misunderstanding the question but:

select cast(x/y as numeric(10,4));

JD

> -----
>
> Martin Mueller
> Professor emeritus of English and Classics
>
> Northwestern University

*** A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is. ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****