Re: Some advice need after a 20 year gap after Ingres/GUIs

From: Francisco Prado <fprado(dot)lcds(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some advice need after a 20 year gap after Ingres/GUIs
Date: 2024-04-10 13:38:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

To start I had to find out what MDBS IV is, since it caught my attention
and I ended up learning a few things about the history of databases ;-).

Regarding your concern:

First you must be clear that there are many alternatives to develop
graphical interfaces to work with Postgres.

So, first of all:

* You must choose and master a programming language that you feel
comfortable with, Python is the one that most developers choose.
* Use a development environment suitable for the language you have
chosen, there are several, but the best known is possibly Visual
Studio Code.
* Choose which operating system you are going to develop with:
Windows, Linux, macOS, generally most people choose Windows since
you can integrate a Linux like Ubuntu using WSL.
* After you master your favorite programming language, you must select
a framework that allows you to generate a graphical interface, in
Python there are several such as Tkinter, wxPython or Qt among others.
* If the development is via the web, the options are many, the best
known in Python would be Django for the web and FastAPI for the
development of APIs via REST
* You must also have a library that allows you to connect with
Postgres, in Python there is pyODBC, psycopg2 among others.

Additional resources:

Python Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRfhZUzrAc&list=PLWKjhJtqVAbnqBxcdjVGgT3uVR10bzTEB
Python & Tkinter: