Partial join

From: Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Partial join
Date: 2019-08-01 08:07:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hello,

I attached one example of a partitioned table with multi column partition key. I also attached the output.
Disabling the hash_join is not really necessary, it just shows the more drastic result in the case of low work_mem.

Comparing the first and the second query I was surprised to see that SET enable_partitionwise_join could cause the costs to go up. Shouldn't the paths of the first query be generated as well?

The third query seems to have a different issue. That one is close to my original performance problem. It looks to me like the push down of the sl condition stops the optimizer considering a partial join.
If so would it be sane to keep a copy of the original quals to make the partial join possible? Do you have better ideas?

Regards
Arne

Attachment Content-Type Size
querys.sql application/sql 2.3 KB
explain_analyze.sql application/sql 7.7 KB