Re: vacuum'ing toast crumbs, detecting dangling transactions

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum'ing toast crumbs, detecting dangling transactions
Date: 2009-11-04 21:51:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 2. If there is a hanging transaction, what's the best way to trace it from
> the PG end? Client is classic Java (Spring / Hibernate / Apache DBCP) if
> that matters.

Last place I worked we had the same issue and it was in our jdbc
settings or maybe needed an upgraded version. It was some slick trick
someone thought of to do a commit;begin; at the end of each access to
the db. It's that begin; that gets in the way, especially if there's
an occasional select 1 to make sure the connection is alive.