Re: Postgres's Performance degrades after heavy db operation

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Preeti Khurana <preeti(dot)khurana(at)globallogic(dot)com>
Cc: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres's Performance degrades after heavy db operation
Date: 2009-06-10 08:31:47
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/6/10 Preeti Khurana <preeti(dot)khurana(at)globallogic(dot)com>:
> I checked the release notes till 8.1.17, but could not come across any such issue which leads to db performance degradation after doing heavy db operations. AutoVacuum is also enabled parallel.

Note that you might be much better served moving to 8.3 if HOT can
help with your usage patterns. A database I work with dropped in load
by about 1/2 (maybe a bit more) just by switching to 8.3. But it's
not magic pixie dust and if your usage patterns preclude HOT helping
(i.e. updating every row in a table) then I don't expect any miracles.