Re: Server timestamp

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Bartlett <c(dot)bartlett(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server timestamp
Date: 2009-05-03 13:41:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Chris Bartlett
<c(dot)bartlett(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:
> Date and time functions like current_time return the client machine's time.
> Is there a way of getting the database server's time? I have a situation
> that requires comparison of a date stamp on records with "today", but I need
> to avoid the possibility of a user changing their computer's clock time.

I think you're confused. According to the docs:

CURRENT_TIME and CURRENT_TIMESTAMP deliver values with time zone;
LOCALTIME and LOCALTIMESTAMP deliver values without time zone.

The time delivered is the server's time, adjusted to client's
timezone. If you want the server time without timezone then use
localtime / localtimestamp.

It's never the client's time.