Re: Will PostgreSQL 8.4 allow having different encoding databases on a same PostgreSQL server ?

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruno Baguette <bruno(dot)baguette(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Will PostgreSQL 8.4 allow having different encoding databases on a same PostgreSQL server ?
Date: 2009-04-09 12:24:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:03 AM, Bruno Baguette <bruno(dot)baguette(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello !
>
> Currently, I have several PostgreSQL databases, some of them are using
> LATIN1 encoding, some of them are using UTF-8 encoding.
>
> In order to have theses two encoding, we had to install two PostgreSQL
> server on two different ports. One is for LATIN1 databases and one is for
> UTF-8 databases. (I known there is a workaround which allows to mix several
> databases encoding them on a same PostgreSQL server, by specifying "C"
> locale to initdb).

I think you are misinformed. With pgsql 8.3:

smarlowe=# show lc_collate ;
lc_collate
-------------
en_US.UTF-8

\l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-----------+----------+----------
postgres | postgres | UTF8
smarlowe | smarlowe | UTF8

create database test with encoding 'SQL_ASCII';
\l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
postgres | postgres | UTF8