Re: 8.3.3 stability ?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
Cc: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3.3 stability ?
Date: 2008-09-17 20:43:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> 8.3 has much better performance for certain types of workloads,
>> especially with HOT updates, and the more efficient bg writer and
>> vacuuming seems many times faster than it was before.
>>
>> If I was deploying to production today, I'd use 8.3.3 no questions.
>
> Remember 8.3 also gives you the "opportunity" to fix all the sloppy code in
> your application that depends upon implicit casting. If that's as expensive
> for you to fix as it is for us, then you won't be moving to 8.3 any time
> soon.

Would you like to have some cheese??? :)

Out of 10s of thousands of lines of code, we fixed all the casting
problems we had in about two hours. There were about 4 dozen
instances we found. And a lot of them were things that needed fixing
anyway, like using substring on a date to get a month out of it.
Someone changes date style and that goes kaboom anyway.