Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Chris Browne" <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?
Date: 2008-05-01 22:50:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:
> xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net (Robert Treat) writes:
> > On Thursday 01 May 2008 13:40, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >> 7.4 was released 2003-11-17, so I think that it will very likely get
> >> obsoleted at the end of 2008.
> >>
> > If that's the case, it'd be nice to get an official statement of that now. :-)
>
> People have been making noises suggesting the idea already; I expect
> that the flurry of counterarguments will start diminishing at that
> point.

Maybe I'm some crazy, radical DBA, but I've never had a version of
pgsql get EOLed out from underneath me. I migrated from 7.4 to 8.1
right around the time 8.2 came out then upgraded to 8.2 around 6
months later.

Where I work now we are looking at migrating from 8.1 to 8.2 or 8.3
(depending on whether or not we have the man power to fix a few issues
with type coercion, our app, and 8.3) These aren't "the DBA got a
wild hair and just had to upgrade" upgrades. Each time I've migrated
it's been because there were performance or maintenance issues that
were solved by upgrading.

OTOH, a db I set up YEARS ago on 7.2 was still running last year I
believe. they dump, initdb and reload it every year or two and it
still works for what they designed the app on top of it to do.