Re: Connection idle broken

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Douglas McNaught" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: "Fernando Xavier" <fernandoxavier(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection idle broken
Date: 2007-11-27 18:59:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Nov 27, 2007 12:50 PM, Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org> wrote:
> On 11/27/07, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, if you use the linux based ones, or download dd-wrt or
> > openwrt and install that, the linksys routers are quite stable,
> > reliable, and performant.
>
> I'm sure they are. Custom software helps a lot. :)
>
> That said, my definition of "production" doesn't include hardware
> that's built as cheaply as possible for the consumer market. Others
> may differ, and the OPs need may very well be satisfied by a custom
> software load on a cheap consumer router.

Well, if I had a choice between a single internet connection on a big
cisco, and a dual connect through a sonet ring through a pair of
buffalo consumer grade routers with dd-wrt, I'd take the sonet ring.

Course, we'd all rather have both the sonet ring and the big
commercial routers...

(am seriously amazed how many 24/7 ops are out there running with a
sonet ring into the building that turns into a single point of failure
after that. )