Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jonathan Wright <jonathan(at)almalinux(dot)org>
Cc: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro
Date: 2022-01-04 18:52:15
Lists: pgsql-www

On 1/4/22 1:22 PM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> Hi,

>> I don't know the relative sizes of the user bases, but I think it
>> would be fair to have the download page list only the distro(s)
>> Devrim actually tests on, and then say something like "The RHEL
>> packages should work on other binary-compatible RHEL clone distros,
>> but we don't test that".
>
> +1 .

So, I want to back this up a minute.

There are two places where the language is being discussed.

First, on "Downloads"[1], if you click "Linux", you'll see a few panes,
including one that says "Red Hat / Rocky / CentOS". I believe those 3
are amongst those that Devrim explicitly tests the packages against. If
there are more, they are encompassed underneath.

At this point, I would be -1 changing anything on #1 unless it adds more
clarity to how users download. I looked at the data YoY, and clicks to
the RHEL download page are up ~100%, which seems to indicate to leave
things as is for the moment.

Then, there is the RHEL page[2] itself. It's divided into two sections:

- PostgreSQL Yum Repository
- Included in Distribution

IMV, I think it's fair to include Alma Linux in the "included in
distribution", though per Tom's point we may want to ensure we have at
least one buildfarm animal hitting it. However, we should make it clear
what distributions Devrim test against, and perhaps add that disclaimer
to the bottom of that list.

Or, at the top of the page where we list out distributions, we can add
that line below.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jonathan