Re: performance problems ... 100 cpu utilization

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance problems ... 100 cpu utilization
Date: 2005-07-14 03:11:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Dennis" <dennis(at)works4me(dot)com> writes

> checking the status of connections at this point ( ps -eaf | grep
> "postgres:") where the CPU is maxed out I saw this:
>
> 127 idle
> 12 bind
> 38 parse
> 34 select

Are you sure 100% CPU usage is solely contributed by Postgresql? Also, from
the ps status you list, I can hardly see that's a problem because of problem
you mentioned below.

> I know there has been discussion about problems on Xeon MP systems. Is
> this what we are running into? Or is something else going on? Is there
> other information I can provide that might help determine what is going
on?

Here is a talk about Xeon-SMP spinlock contention problem:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-05/msg00441.php

Regards,
Qingqing