Current state of XML capabilities in PostgreSQL?

From: Nathan Widmyer <lighthousej(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Current state of XML capabilities in PostgreSQL?
Date: 2009-09-16 13:20:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I'm looking for the current state of XML capabilities in PostgreSQL and I'm
coming up with a lot of confusing links and a bit short on documentation.

I first read that there used to be an xml2 contrib module for Postgres that
provided a lot of functions to read/write and simultaneously validating XML,
and searching and returning columns with XML based upon XPath expressions,
etc... But I read that the capability was going to be moved into the
Postgres baseline (this was 8.3-ish?). Currently, all I've ended up finding
is the lone official document page on the XML data type (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-xml.html), XML
functions and operators (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/functions-xml.html), and
the XML Support Pg wiki page (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/XML_Support).

I just plan on storing already-made XML in a column, then be able to search
on it using where clauses with XPath expressions (e.g. select
tv_show,xpath('/station/times', xml_data) from table_with_xml where
xpath('/name', xml_data)='Captain Kangaroo'). I do understand there is an
xpath() function to return data, so that's solved for.

I'm looking for the functionality that I mentioned above that allowed more
comprehensive XML operations but I'm just not finding any documentation for
it, if it exists.

I have 8.4.0 now, but can go to .1 if there have been great strides made
since .0 was released.
If anyone can help me out, I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate