Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...

From: "Greg Patnude" <gpatnude(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...
Date: 2005-07-12 18:29:58
Lists: pgsql-general

"Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 13:04, Greg Patnude wrote:
>> LOG: checkpoints are occurring too frequently (19 seconds apart)
>> HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter
>> "checkpoint_segments".
>> LOG: checkpoints are occurring too frequently (12 seconds apart)
>> HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter
>> "checkpoint_segments".
>> LOG: checkpoints are occurring too frequently (12 seconds apart)
>> HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter
>> "checkpoint_segments".
>> LOG: checkpoints are occurring too frequently (11 seconds apart)
>> HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter
>> "checkpoint_segments".
>> LOG: checkpoints are occurring too frequently (12 seconds apart)
>> HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter
>> "checkpoint_segments".
>>
>> What does this mean and what causes it ???
>
> Lots of updates or inserts.
>
> What are you doing with your database? Are you running some application
> that is doing a lot of small inserts maybe?

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Sort of... I have a stored procedure that gets called and updates either 50
or 75 records in a table. The parent table has an inherited table (history)
derived from it with an update rule on the parent table that inserts a copy
of the unchanged record (prior to the update) into the history table. So --
for every 50 updates -- I expect to see 50 inserts into the child.

G. Patnude....