Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: "Daniel Vérité" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Everaldo Canuto" <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-09 14:25:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Everaldo Canuto wrote:

> > postgres=> select 2+2
> > 2-> help
> > 3-> quit
> > 4-> exit
>

> I like it! Maybe another proposal to change PROMPT2?

Thanks. Yes, I think it should be a different proposal.

On closer inspection, mysql doesn't make a real effort
to align prompts, the secondary prompt happens
to coincide with the default primary prompt, but
when it's non-default, the alignment is lost.
Their secondary prompt does not seem to be
configurable.

By contrast PROMPT2 is fully configurable in psql.
The issue of alignment is non-trivial if we wish to retain the
nice-to-have property that if you copy-paste psql session
in an editor, the prompting can generally be filtered out
with a simple column-cut.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité