Re: Parquet support

From: Brian M Hamlin <maplabs(at)light42(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parquet support
Date: 2022-11-23 20:18:43
Lists: psycopg

Hi - desktop linux user/maker here in California --

The engineering stakes are high in the clouds these days.  There are
some important efforts underway to make "cloud-native" ways for python,
python installation, python data and python communication tools.  In my
corners of the world (remote sensing, urban planning) that means DASK
and xarray.  As a desktop linux distribution, we/OSGeoLive  ship both,
and enthusiastically so.. the "cloud-native" data storage formats ZARR
and parquet, not so much.   My best understanding is xarray is a happy
medium between "what only runs on cloud" and "the powerful Linux I can
run myself on standard equipment today" ..

I support a python ecosystem that individual people can run entirely
locally, and can interoperate well with standard networking and data
formats. Not every python environment is doing that.. change happens

interested to see the common and useful Python discussion here,
regarding Postgresql, PostGIS and cloudy interoperability.

  --Brian M Hamlin    /  MAPLABS  /  OSGeoLive PSC