Re: Official devcontainer config

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: Official devcontainer config
Date: 2024-08-04 14:12:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-08-03 Sa 10:13 PM, Junwang Zhao wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 3, 2024 at 7:30 PM Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

>>> Yeah, the editor support in the tree ought to be minimal and factual,
>>> based on coding standards and widely recognized best practices, not a
>>> collection of one person's favorite aliases and scripts. If the
>>> scripts are good, let's look at them and maybe put them under
>>> src/tools/ for everyone to use. But a lot of this looks like it will
>>> requite active maintenance if output formats or node formats or build
>>> targets etc. change. And other things require specific local paths.
>>> That's fine for a local script or something, but not for a mainline
>>> tool that the community will need to maintain.
>>>
>>> I suggest to start with a very minimal configuration. What are the
>>> settings that absolute everyone will need, maybe to set indentation
>>> style or something.
>>>
>> I believe you can get VS Code to support editorconfig, so from that POV
>> maybe we don't need to do anything.
>>
>> I did try yesterday with the code from the OP's patch symlinked into my
>> repo, but got an error with the Docker build, which kinda reinforces
>> your point.
> The reason symlink does not work is that configure_vscode needs to copy
> launch.json and tasks.json into .vscode, it has to be in the
> WORKDIR/.devcontainer.

That's kind of awful. Anyway, I think we don't need to do anything about
ignoring those. The user should simply add entries for them to
.git/info/exclude or their local global exclude file (I have
core.excludesfile = /home/andrew/.gitignore set.)

I was eventually able to get it to work without using a symlink.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan