Re: introduce dynamic shared memory registry

From: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: introduce dynamic shared memory registry
Date: 2023-12-18 06:39:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/12/2023 10:46, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> I don't presently have any concrete plans to use this for anything, but I
> thought it might be useful for extensions for caching, etc. and wanted to
> see whether there was any interest in the feature.

I am delighted that you commenced this thread.
Designing extensions, every time I feel pain introducing one shared
value or some global stat, the extension must be required to be loadable
on startup only. It reduces the flexibility of even very lightweight
extensions, which look harmful to use in a cloud.

--
regards,
Andrei Lepikhov