Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date: 2021-03-26 13:38:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/26/21 2:08 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've pushed both the bloom and minmax-multi indexes today.

Hmmm, I see a couple buildfarm animals are upset about the minmax-multi
patch. It does pass for me both on x86_64 and 32-bit ARM (rpi4), so I'm
unable to reproduce this. But most of the machines having issues seem to
be sparc variants, and snapper does this:

[New LWP 1471]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/sparc-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `postgres: parallel worker for PID 1350
'.
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
#0 0x007167fc in int82gt (fcinfo=0xffcc66d0) at int8.c:399
399 int64 val1 = PG_GETARG_INT64(0);
#0 0x007167fc in int82gt (fcinfo=0xffcc66d0) at int8.c:399
#1 0x00887a94 in FunctionCall2Coll (flinfo=0xb81a2c, collation=0,
arg1=12242916, arg2=0) at fmgr.c:1163

I recall seeing "bus error" on sparc with other patches because of
alignment issues, so I wonder if this is what's happening here.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company