Re: How to use the SQL parser subsystem

From: "Ravindra Jaju" <list(dot)jaju(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to use the SQL parser subsystem
Date: 2007-01-04 15:20:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/4/07, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> > 3] If not, what would be a better mechanism to re-use all the work
> already
> > done in postgres for SQL analysis?
>
> One idea would be writing a PostgreSQL function which calls
> raw_parser() and returns the parse tree as a texual representaion.
>
> Another idea would be pulling out raw_parser() along with related
> functions from PostgreSQL. pgpool-II
> (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgpool/) has alread done this.

The first idea would mean having a postgres instance always accessible for
SQL analysis, which would be an overkill.

I shall check out pgpool-II.

Is there any specific reason why the SQL parsing portion is not exposed -
I expect a lot of people to do structure-level analysis of SQL statements,
hence
I do not really get why it should not be exposed.

Thanks a lot, and thanks for bearing with my questions! :-)

regards,
jaju