Re: Me again with an insert trigger problem

From: Thiemo Kellner <thiemo(at)gelassene-pferde(dot)biz>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Me again with an insert trigger problem
Date: 2024-02-27 22:11:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Am 27.02.2024 um 21:42 schrieb Adrian Klaver:
> Also not sure what this:
>
> select NODE_TYPE⠒NAME into V⠒NODE_TYPE⠒NAME
>               from NODE⠒V
>              where 1 = 1
>                and ID = new.NODE⠒ID
>                and 1 = 1;
>
> is supposed to be doing especially the 1 = 1 tests?

The select retrieves the type of the node in order to determine whether
a task name must be given or not.

It is a habit of mine to pad conditions in the where clause. This way,
it is easy to comment/uncomment parts of the clause for testing
purposes. Coming from Oracle, I missed that using "true" is also
possible and better because clearer.

> Seems  '... where  ID = new.NODE⠒ID ...' is sufficient.

Right. Semantically sufficient.

> Also what do you want to return as NEW?

The unchanged new record. And it works as intended.

Thanks for your help!