Re: Ideas for building a system that parses medical research publications/articles

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ideas for building a system that parses medical research publications/articles
Date: 2021-06-05 15:34:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/5/21 2:49 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am imagining a system that can parse papers from various sources
> (web/files/etc) and in various formats (text, pdf, etc) and can store
> metadata for this paper ,some kind of global ID if applicable, authors,
> areas of research, whether the paper is "new", "highlighted",
> "historical", type (e.g. Case reports, Clinical trials), symptoms (e.g.
> tics, GI pain, psychological changes, anxiety, ), and other key
> attributes (I guess dynamic), it must be full text searchable, etc.
>
> I am at the very beginning in this and it is done on a fully volunteer
> basis.
>
> Lots of questions : is there any scientific/scholar analysis software
> already available? If yes and is really good and open source , then this
> will influence the rest of decisions. Otherwise , I'll have to form a
> team that can write one, in this case I'll have to decide DB, language,
> etc. I work 20 years with pgsql so it is the natural choice for any kind
> of data, I just ask this for the sake of completeness.
>
> All ideas welcome.

A quick search found this:

https://solutionsreview.com/data-management/the-best-open-source-data-catalog-tools-to-consider/

Might be a good starting point on what is already out there.

There is also this:

The Directory of Open Access Journals
https://doaj.org/

It seems to be a service, not downloadable software.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com