Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem

From: "Tomi NA" <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
Cc: thewild(at)free(dot)fr, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem
Date: 2006-11-22 22:28:06
Lists: pgsql-general

2006/11/22, Brandon Aiken <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>:

> Gee, didn't Unicode just so simplify this codepage mess? Remember when it was just ASCII, EBCDIC, ANSI, and localized codepages?

Unicode is a heaven sent, compared to 3 or 4 codepages representing
any given (obviously non-English) language, and 3 or 4 more for every
other language you have to deal with in your application. Perfect?
Hardly. But then again, much more so than natural languages.
I'd say we'd deliver products 10-20% faster (in the company I work in)
if people looked ahead a couple of decades ago and decided upon
something along the lines of unicode instead of ASCII.

Cheers,
t.n.a.