Re: Separate log_destination, user specific

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Separate log_destination, user specific
Date: 2022-01-25 11:00:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am 25.01.22 um 11:57 schrieb Paul Smith:
> On 25/01/2022 10:48, Daulat wrote:
>> Is it possible to set a separate log_destination for some users  in
>> Postgres?
>> As I know all actions are recorded under the directory specified
>> by log_destination.
>>
>> But I want to create a separate log file for DBA users to log their
>> actions.
>> Is any third party or free ware tool available to accomplish this task ?
>

> Could you set PostgreSQL to log to Syslog, and then set up filters in
> rsyslog?
> (I've not done it, but it sounds like it may work)

Using syslog is not advisable. Qutoe from
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html

The logging collector is designed to never lose messages. This means
that in case of extremely high load, server processes could be blocked
while trying to send additional log messages when the collector has
fallen behind. In contrast, syslog prefers to drop messages if it cannot
write them, which means it may fail to log some messages in such cases
but it will not block the rest of the system.

Do you really want to lose messages??