Re: Stopping during recovery

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: John Lister <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stopping during recovery
Date: 2010-03-23 11:52:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM, John Lister
<john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi, I've successfully set up a slave system using WAL archiving and
> pg_standby, but I have a couple of questions.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> Is it possible to stop the database server (for maintenance for example)
> and resume the recovery without starting afresh and making a complete backup
> of the original again?

Yes, it won't begin reading at the very first logfile, it will start based
on your last checkpoint:

http://www.scottrmead.com/blogs/scott/warm-standby-monitoring
http://www.kennygorman.com/wordpress/?p=249

> Secondly is it possible to start the database in "readonly" (using set
> default_transaction_read_only) and make a query before resuming the
> recovery?

No, this feature is only available in 9.0 (which is in alpha) and beyond.

--Scott M