Re: Restrict allowed database names?

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Adam Seering <aseering(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restrict allowed database names?
Date: 2010-03-21 01:01:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Adam Seering <aseering(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to set up an internal general-purpose PostgreSQL server
> installation. I want most users with login access to the server to be able
> to create databases, but only with names that follow a specified naming
> convention (in particular, approximately "is prefixed with the owner's
> username"). A subset of administrative users can create users with any
> name. The goal is to let users create arbitrary databases, but to force
> them to get approval for names that someone else (or some other service)
> might conceivably want.
>
> Is there any way to enforce this within PostgreSQL? Maybe something
> like a trigger on CREATE DATABASE, if that's possible?

Hmmm... nothing like that I'm afraid...

But, you could possibly make a shell script to the 'createdb' executable
that would force a name-style, but even then, for any user to be able to
successfully run the command, they need database logon / create database
privs, so if someone : cat `which createdb` and you had made a script,
they'd see what you were up to. It may be a way to get started though.

--Scott M