Re: Setting Shared-Buffers

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Rafael Domiciano <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting Shared-Buffers
Date: 2009-07-10 00:05:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Rafael Domiciano <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com
> wrote:

> Hello People,
>
> Today, I've upgraded a dedicated postgres server, from 2 Gb to 10 Gb.
> Everything gone well.
>
> But, I would like shared buffers to use at least 5 Gb of the total memory.

What's your workload? Is this db primarily for reporting or OLTP?

If you have an OLTP style workload, I wouldn't recommend going much over
2.5 - 4 GB (depending on your specific workload). Just set your
'effective_cache_size' higher. This tells postgres how much memory that the
OS has for caching and the database will perform better.

> Linux Fedora Core 9
> postgres=# select version();
> version

> PostgreSQL 8.3.5 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.3.0
> 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8)
> (1 row)

32 bit pg can't address that much memory. You'd need to recompile or
download the 64 bit packages. I believe you'd need to dump / reload as
well, but I may be off about that one.

--Scott