Re: Configure fails to find readline libraries

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jeffrey Trimble <jtrimble(at)cc(dot)ysu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configure fails to find readline libraries
Date: 2009-05-19 23:28:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Jeffrey Trimble <jtrimble(at)cc(dot)ysu(dot)edu>wrote:

> Hi.. thanks.
> Here's a printout from my find command:
>
> /usr/local/include/readline
> /usr/local/include/readline/readline.h
>

> And the plot thickens. Here is where it errors out and then loops endlessly
> until it quits:
> (There are symbolic links from libreadline.so to libreadline.so.6.0)
>
> configure:6240: $? = 0
> configure:6243: test -s conftest
> configure:6246: $? = 0
> configure:6316: result: none required
> configure:6337: checking for -lreadline
> configure:6364: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include
> -I/usr/local/include/readline -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
> -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing
> -fwrapv -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/readline
> -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lreadline -lcrypt -ldl -lm
> >&5

/usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `PC'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetent'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `UP'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tputs'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgoto'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `BC'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetstr'

What happens if you run

ldd /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so ?

It looks like you've got either multiple versions of readline
installed and you're linking to the wrong one, or something is really wonky
with your readline build. A quick google is showing that all of those
symbols are in ncurses, which means that you should probably have ncurses in
your linker cache or linker runtime path.

By the way, if you don't want readline functionality in psql (or care),
just build '--without-readline'

--Scott