Bytea data in SQL output pane

From: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)kingston(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bytea data in SQL output pane
Date: 2018-06-27 14:40:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Currently any bytea fields are rendered as "[binary data]" in SQL output
pane. From the archive I found a message that evidently there was very
high processor load in trying to show the data. I guess the solution at
the time was not to render the data at all. Bytea is used a lot in
crypto, an example is blockchain hashes. It is handy to be able to see
that hashes end up in the right record and right column. A workaround is
to use pgphpadmin which reveals the correct codes, and as long as we use
the now (Postgresql 10) non-default 'escape' encoding and not the
default 'hex' the data is visible in the REPL as well. Just wondering
where this issue sits in the TODO list if any?